Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Daily Bread



Matthew 6:11 Give us today our daily bread.

What does that mean to you? 

Have you been thinking about it?

Don’t be coming to church on Sunday just to forget what he said by Monday. You’re better off skipping and juts going to play golf or to the mall. Stop wasting your time.   

Your faith should be changing you. You should be growing and you should be challenged by the message you hear at church. So let me ask you again and this time don’t just gloss it over. 

Matthew 6:11 Give us today our dally bread.  

For me it was clear. This is talking about Jesus. He is the bread of life (John 6:35). 

But check it out. Tonight, today it takes in a different meaning to me. 

Wait. Content. Available. 

Patient. Diligence.

All these things are things that I must do today. I can’t do them tomorrow. Nope. They must be done tomorrow because they are all present tense. They are happening right now. The first three words have been written on a piece of paper that is hanging on my bathroom wall since there has been snow on the ground. Maybe even since last year. 

Wait. Content. Available. 

I’ve been lonely. I’ve been hurting. I’ve been BORED with my life. I’ve been asking God for guidance. I’ve been asking God for something to do that is new. I am so tired of doing what I have been doing for the past 25 years. Get me in the game coach!
 
If you have been reading Deep in the Week for long you know I am a word guy so let us take a look at the definitions of these words. 


Wait - 1: to stay in place, in expectation of OR to remain stationary in readiness or expectation.

Content - pleased and satisfied: not needing more

Available - present or ready for immediate use

So, when I asked God (let’s just say 6 months ago) what I should be doing, He told me that I needed to stay where I was at but be expecting something to happen. I was to stay but be pleased and satisfied with where He had me and I should not need anything more. In that time I needed to also be present and ready to be used at a moment’s notice.

Sounds pretty exciting huh? 

Not to me. I was not that happy to hear that I had to wait. Nope. I was like a kid in the back seat of a very long car ride down to Indy. If you have ever made that drive you know what I mean. If you haven’t let me just say that there is only one thing to really look during the three hour drive. Corn. Not so much fun.  

“Geesh really, when are we gonna get there? Are we there yet? Can we stop I have to go to the bathroom. Are we there yet? I am hungry.”

So I just kept doing what I was doing. Kind of like that hamster on the treadmill and I find myself 6 months later on the same wheel. However, I am better off than I was 6 months ago. A lot has happened in 6 months but I laughed today as I contemplated those 3 words. That is still where I am at. Things are different in my life but I find I am still waiting, I am very content, and I am available to whatever comes my way. As I was laughing though, two more words popped into my head. 

Patient. Diligence. 

I was like huh? God? Really? What do they mean? More words? I am still working on the 3 you gave me 6 months ago!

Again, I heard the words. Patient. Diligence. So I looked them up too.

Patient - bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint

 -----whoa that was me the past 6 months. Well, I bore the pains and trials……not sure how much of it was without complaint……does grumbling to another count????

Diligence - persevering application

Ok, so now I get a bit funny with my words. That definition didn’t really get me there……..persevering……what does that mean? 

Persevering - to persist in a state, enterprise, or undertaking in spite of counter influences, opposition, or discouragement

OK, this is starting to make sense to me. He just leads me to where I need to be. I have to do some work. He just doesn’t give it to me. I have to work as hard as He makes the caterpillar work. He doesn’t open the cocoon for it; the caterpillar has to work for it. It has to build up its strength. 

I must have to build up my strength too; build up my knowledge. I have to be smart as I do not live in just a physical world. There are two worlds at work here. Yes. That is right. 

Wake up Neo. The Matirx has you. 

So, God is adding to my list of things that He wants me to do.
To recap, six months ago I decorated my bathroom with 3 words. Today God added 2 more. 

Wait. Content. Available. Patient. Diligence. 

I need to stay where I am at with an expectation that something will happen. While I am waiting I should be pleased and satisfied with where I am at and I will not need anything more. I will also be present and ready to be used at a moment’s notice while bearing pains and trials without grumbling or complaining. I am also to remain in this undertaking in spite of the counter influences, opposition or discouragement I will face. 

Whew……sounds rough to me and when I put it together I need to be honest with everyone. I wept. At work. For a moment. I wept. 

 Please understand why and don’t miss this point. I didn’t cry because I thought it would be too difficult to do, it will be hard but I can do it. I didn’t cry because it seems so cryptic and unclear. I don’t have details but really I don’t need them. If I had them I would take control. 

 I wept when I realized that one day the Christ will return and I will be able to stand in front of Him and give an account of my life. I won’t need to be fearful anymore because in that moment, after I have waited, contently, being available to help others, while I worked through my own suffering with perseverance I will be able to tell him that I got it done! I can say “Hey, that was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I did it Lord. I did what you asked of me!”

AND

I can finally hear those words that avoided me for so many years of my life. I am proud of you. 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

Then I will hug him and probably cry on his shoulder………I love that man. To be able to actually see him, hug him and touch him will be truly amazing after I have finished such a long and tedious race. It is a reward that brings such relief I weep just thinking about it!

So for me. Give us today our daily bread is a prayer to God to let me be satisfied with today and today alone. 

Let me wait and be content with waiting. While I wait if something comes along and I can do it I will joyfully. If I have to endure some suffering I will gladly endure the storm and I will TRY not to complain too much. It is about today because I don’t know if I have tomorrow. 

I am recognizing that people are being brought into my life for a purpose. Either for me to help them or them to help me (which isn’t always a pleasant experience mind you). I never know how long these people will be in my life but I am learning to enjoy every opportunity that I can with them by listening and by asking questions. You can make a world of difference in someone’s life if you take just a few minutes and care for them. When you talk to someone remember what you learned and bring it up next time you see them. It shows them they have value to you. 

Show them love. Show them Christ. Even if your heart is broken. It can still move people.

Peace.     




2 comments:

  1. We welcome your comments. If you don't have an ID just select Anonymous form the drop down menu. Thanks Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or if you have an ID you can use that too.

    ReplyDelete